We run a wide variety of programs for various groups interested in rock climbing. We can tailor your program to almost any available time period or budget and are always happy to work with you to come up with a format that works for your group. Group activities can be as simple as a half-day rappelling outing scheduled to fit between lunch and dinner at the Sleeping Lady Conference Center and Retreat, or as complex as taking a dozen people on multi-pitch climbs scattered throughout the Leavenworth area. Costs are based on our private rates with smaller ratios costing more and larger ratios costing less. We provide all climbing equipment and can arrange for climbing shoe rental if needed. Want us to provide a tasty lunch? We can do that as well. For your group climb it is best to call John or Olivia so that we can discuss your group, timeframe, and budget, and come up with the best program for your situation.
Family Groups: We can organize anything from a half-day of basic rock climbing, to a parent-child ascents of a multi-pitch climb in the Leavenworth area. If parents need some free time at their cabin or time to shop in Leavenworth, drop the kids off with us for a climbing adventure in the Icicle Creek Canyon.
Scout Groups: Often a large group of scouts will hire a guide or two to oversee their climbing activity or to work through the skills checklist for pursuit of their climbing merit badge. Our guides are trained to oversee more than one top-rope at a time, so we can actually get a remarkable amount of climbing done at a 6:1 ratio, which allows you get in a ton of climbing for as little as $75 per person for a 5-hour session. We provide all ropes and equipment.
Corporate Groups: We are often approached by groups staying in Leavenworth for corporate retreats that want to provide team-building activities or simply relaxing activities for their group. Groups staying at spots like the Sleeping Lady Conference Center and Retreat often request that we time our offering to fit between meetings or lunch and dinner so that guests can maximize their use of our services and those of the facility where they are staying. Activities can be as simple as a guided hike or rappelling trip, or as involved as hiring a half-dozen guides to take 6 small groups on multi-pitch rock climbs. Unless specifically requested, we usually limit our group size to keep the quality of the experience high.
School or Church Groups: We can provide a low-cost climbing activity for your youth, church, or school group. You provide the participants and we provide all the equipment needed for a rock climbing or rappelling program. Cost is determined by the ratio of participants to guides and can be as low as $75 per person if run at a 6:1 ratio.
- Superior knowledge of the area: We are the only guide service based in Leavenworth and our owners and guides are all very active local climbers.
- Maximize your time: Our guides are trained to manage multiple ropes which keeps everyone climbing. This allows each person to get in a good session even on shorter programs with higher ratios.
- Certified Guides: John Race and Olivia Cussen own the Northwest Mountain School and are licensed as IFMGA guides, which is the highest guiding certification available in the US.
- Petzl Gear: Petzl provides the Northwest Mountain School with all of its ropes, helmets, harnesses, belay devices and carabiners. These items are provided free on every NMS rock climbing program.
- Flexible Bookings: As we live locally your program can start and end exactly when you need it to to accommodate other activities related to your stay in Leavenworth.
here. Once you have completed your application you can make your deposit or full payment here. It is best to call our office at 509-548-5823 to make sure that space is available on your selected program. Space is allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Portions of this program take place on US Forest Service lands under a commercial-outfitter and guide permits. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities and is an equal opportunity provider and employer.